What You Need to Know Before Building a Fence in Texas
When you finally decide that you want to build a fence, there are a few things you should check out before building. Here is a helpful list to get you started on your way to having the fence you want.
- - Decide what type of fence you want, including materials. Front yard, back yard, property line and swimming pool fences all have their own sets of regulations.
- - Shop for your contractor: Be sure to check Angie’s List and the Better Business Bureau for reviews and recommendations. You should always make sure that the business fully discloses it’s physical location and a contact person.
- - Once you decide on your contractor get a written quotes. These quotes will allow you to meet with the contractor you may hire. You may ask questions at this stage.
- - With your quote in hand check with your county, city and state office on regulations. Since regulations on height and type of fence vary by county and city, it’s always best to check with all levels of government.
- - Apply for a permit if required.
- - Draft up a contract with your preferred contractor. Ensure you fully understand the scope of work, the requirements of you as a property owner and the requirements of the business. Don’t forget if it’s not in writing, it isn’t going to hold up.
- - Have your fence built. Once the job is done ensure your contractor does a walk around with you to inspect the work. You may at this time have an inspector visit your property to get a third opinion if you have questions. Make sure that if the work or products are warrantied to have the written warranties in a safe place. Understand the different warranties provided and ask many questions!